Sunday 22 June 2008

7 Signs Of Ageing

I went out with some friends and students from work last night. Since the whole of Saturday was sodden with heavy rain, I had spent some of the afternoon deliberating over whether I could be bothered to put myself together & meet them all. Finally, after maybe 4 outfit changes & probably half a can of hairspray, I got myself into the Toon for 8.30pm.
Despite the driving rain & chilliness in the air, there were many scantily clad young revellers out and about...My brother raves about the 'fluff' in Norwich, well I think if he saw the Newcastle 'fluff', he would think he had landed in heaven! First sign of ageing, being very glad to be wearing a cardi & having a brolly.

Second sign of ageing: Standing in a long bar queue. A long, slow bar queue because the Bouncers are asking everyone for ID. Not me though. I get a flourishing wave to enter and a 'Have a good evening Madam'.

Third sign of ageing: Barely in the bar twenty minutes before I started wondering what I was missing on the box.

Fourth sign of ageing: Having to explain to a nonplussed barmaid how to make a Cosmo.

Fifth sign of ageing: Trying to figure out if the noise that was vibrating through my body could actually be classified as music, then being ridiculously relieved when the DJ announced an 'oldie' that I knew all the words too! BTW, I'm 32. Boy how the music has changed!


Sixth sign of ageing: When in the ladies washing my hands I caught sight of myself sideways in the mirrors, aghast to discover the seemingly sudden (though apparently not, according to nearest & dearest) appearance of EEK....BINGO WINGS...AAaargh!....The heavy tins at the back of my kitchen cupboards were put to good use this afternoon.

Seventh sign of ageing: My friend Dan told me he had a benign tumour. I was mortified & almost beside myself for him. Then he said 'Rewind, you've lost me'....what he'd actually said was that he had a dry sense of humour...that is how loud it was. So, finally fed up with the dampness residing in my right ear (the spit from all on sundry bellowing into my poor ear drum) & craving a cup of tea, I said my goodbyes. Home for midnight. Folded all my clothes away. Took off my make up. Blissful cup of tea and sleep.


I cannot hear normally today. I think my ear drums are traumatised. My flatmate has complained how loud my tv was earlier. I had to have the volume turned right up to hear it & even then it sounded quiet. In fact, my ears ache, as though I may have used a cotton bud excessively.

Saw another friend today. We were talking about the kind of evenings we prefer now. A lovely pub, good friends, a long drink, good conversation, maybe good food too and a good folky band.

One thing I was pleased about was the fact that when I came home last night I still smelled of washing powder and perfume. It was lovely to not smell of stale cigarette smoke.

Been faffing around with ribbon yarn all afternoon. Strange stuff. Not quite sure what to make of it and didn't make alot in the end. Excited that I'm off to Woolfest next weekend. Yipee!

1 comment:

picperfic said...

oh, lucky you going to woolfest, say hello to Amanda at the Natural Dye Studio for me will you, I crocheted some of the squares in the new Bessie Blanket she is showing there! I loved reading about your night out, at 32 you feel like that? I was still eager to be out there and boogying when I was 32, I had three children then and didn't get out much. Now, I love to sit in the middle of my creative mess and my books, \i love my space....and what a joy it is not to have that film of tobacco smoke over you after an evening out. It's scary at how drunk and badly behaved the youngsters get these days too, seems like it is a matter of course for them now.