Wednesday 18 June 2008

Long Time...

...loads of yarn craft a-doing! Well, the knitting is on and off, worked mostly in between lots of projects on various hooks. I'm finding the sticks a little hard going. This is mostly due to the fact that I can crochet so much faster than I can knit & so my attention span is so much shorter with the sticks. However, practice, they say, makes perfect, so I've started working on knitted scarves for everyone ready for Christmas.

I'm pretty tired right now, having spent the best part of my afternoon off work with 3 strangers attempting to catch a lost and very scared collie dog running amok around my locality. The one chap in our group of Dog-A-Teers managed to get hold of the poor thing's collar (after 1 hour of coaxing) and take him home with him (nearby) to keep him safe until he could get help.
I was so angry... I had called the RSPCA from my mobile phone: NUMEROUS pick an option options on the phoneline, 10 minutes on hold and fleeced £8 off my payg later, the RSPCA officer told me he couldn't help us and I should call the local council's dog warden. Did he have a number for me? No, he did not. Could the dog warden help us? No, because it was a flippin answering machine as the department was (by then 4.30pm) closed.
ANYWAY... the chap who took him planned to ring a local vet for advice and maybe find out if the collie is chipped. Fingers crossed for the poor dog.

Had a fantastic weekend just gone. Mum came up to stay and we had a lovely girls weekend: On Friday evening we shared a delicious meal at Lochfyne; Shopped & dropped on the Saturday around Newcastle; Gave Mum the 'Yo, Sushi!' experience which was fun (except for the powdered Japanese chilli that made the right side of my face go numb); Chick flicks and after dinner walks; A lovely pootling browse around the Quayside market on Sunday morning; then I treated Mum and my friend Irene to the 'Afternoon Confectioners Tea' at Jesmond Dene House Hotel on Sunday afternoon which we all thoroughly enjoyed - scrumpdiddlyumptious! Mum bought me these beautiful flowers:


I introduced Mum to the joys and wonder of Ravelry, for which she is awaiting an invitation. I've apparently spiked her creative verve and she is itching to learn Entrelac. I posted off two patterns for her today, one of which is the hugely popular 'Lady Eleanor Entrelac Stole' design by Kathleen Power Johnson from the wonderful book 'Scarf Style' by Pam Allen which I have on loan from a friend. I'm currently in the throes of pattern lust for this book. I will be so jealous when Mum masters it. I just got really confused when I had a go and my yarn got really tight on my needles which made it very hard before I gave up and frogged it. Maybe not such a good idea for a newbie knitter eh? I am hoping though, that Mum will teach me Entralac when I go home for my Summer holiday in July. Mum has oodles of enviable knitting skill.

Hmmm. What else? Oh yes, I just HAVE to tell you about the most gorgeous yarn I bought from Ring-A-Rosie a few weeks back. It is Noro Shikisai (35% cotton, 22% acrylic, 15% silk, 15% kid mohair & 13% wool). It is in variegated colourways of brown, turquoise-greens & hints of purple. Probably sounds gross, but it is really lovely (colour shade 10) and feels so light and soft. I started the Midori scarf I have queued on Ravelry, which I then frogged (got bored with the slow growth) to turn into a crocheted late Summer keep-the-evening-chill-off scarfy wrap type accessory which I have designed myself. Will post pics soon. For some reason the yarn seems to crochet up softer than when knit. I love it though and can't wait to finish and show you.

Also, on the jewellery front line (yes, the passion remains at full throttle), I'm currently working on a funky and frankly girly-gorgeous collection of handbag jewellery and brooches. Again, pics will be posted soon. I've just joined pinkdoodle.com with a view to (if I can get myself into gear) eventually selling my wearble art pieces in their market place. Fingers crossed.

Finally. I am in the process of hopefully commencing a Bsc (Hons) in Continuing Professional Studies affiliated with my full time job. So, there is a lot on my plate, but I'm really looking forward to the many creative challenges in the upcoming months.

Bye for now.

No comments: